At FirstGroup, we use a large amount of fuel and electricity to power our extensive fleets and facilities across the UK and North America. A major part of our Climate Change Strategy has been to publish our total emissions within the company corporate responsibility report each year – which we have done for over a decade.
Verification assures stakeholders that our reported emissions are a true and fair account, whilst allowing us to improve performance measurement. This is increasingly important as greater attention is paid to our climate change impact.
We appointed Carbon Credentials to verify our greenhouse gas disclosure to the ISO 14064-3 standard. Their unique perspective and understanding of the broader business implications of emissions integrity, including the link between sustainability data, business performance and compliance, was especially appealing
During the Planning stage, Carbon Credentials:
- Worked efficiently with staff responsible for emissions reporting to get to know our international operations.
- Were focused on gaining a detailed understanding of our data processes from measurement through to final emissions consolidation.
It was really valuable to have them challenge us throughout the Execution stage and their ability to establish a good rapport allowed us to improve communications accross Environment, Finance and Operations.
The final Verification Report clearly articulated their approach and findings, whilst also highlighting our strengths and providing a set of detailed actions for improving our methodology, data, processes, and documentation.
Having our emissions independently verified by a reputable organisation meant that:
- We could confidently publicise GHG information within our Corporate Responsibility report, annual report and CDP response.
- We were able to manage reputational risk, as well as any risk of non-compliance with new mandatory reporting legislation; and
- The usefulness of FirstGroup’s climate data was improved through better oversight around global emissions reporting.
Moreover, they were enjoyable to work with and really wanted to help improve our team’s understanding of greenhouse gas accountancy.
“It was easy to give full marks on Carbon Credentials’ client feedback form and we would certainly recommend their dedicated environmental expertise and verification approach to others.”