As Everyone Active has grown into a leading leisure brand, the way we interact with the environment has had an increasing influence on decision making. We wanted to demonstrate leadership in sustainability and commit to managing our environmental impact responsibly by standardising the approach to energy performance optimisation across our operations.
Our main objectives were to:
- Standardise our approach to energy performance optimisation across the regions and contracts that we operate within
- Support cost effective management of all contracts
- Fully comply with all relevant environmental legislation
- Get everyone committed to energy reduction
- Ensure the Local Authority can become totally engaged in the Strategy
We utilised Carbon Credentials to provide a Performance Managed Service to manage our objectives and help our Energy Strategy Formation.
Energy Strategy Formation
Carbon Credentials worked with us to build a successful Energy Strategy that would be embedded throughout the organisation and enables the achievement of the objectives defined above.
To ensure the strategy was steered at the appropriate levels Carbon Credentials engaged with our staff throughout the organisation, using existing teams and roles to create the structure summarised below:
- The Central Steering Group: responsible for effective delivery of the Energy Strategy
- Technical Implementation Team: responsible for the delivery of a programme of technical energy conservation projects
- Engagement Programme driven by Carbon Reduction Co-ordinators: focusing on communication and saving energy through clear and effective measures they can lead without detailed technical knowledge
Our Energy Strategy provided a framework for engaging with staff, visitors and other stakeholders to ensure that strong support was achieved for the programme and energy reducing behaviours become embedded across the organisation.
We achieved this by:
- Site level Carbon Reduction Coordinators who are focused on communications, raising awareness and behaviour change
- Driving the programme locally, utilising a standard framework
- Training and tools for staff
Utilising data to raise awareness of performance Ongoing support is provided by:
- Sharing best practice and encouraging collaborative working
- Helping to refine and implement Energy Engagement Action Plans at each site
- Communications materials to help raise awareness
The technical programme was supported by Carbon Credentials through:
- The development of a Capital Projects Funding Plan
- Site energy audits where required
- Quarterly meetings and regular reporting
- Annual strategy implementation review
The Capital Projects Funding Plan was developed through a collaborative process that included:
- High-level technical appraisals to identify buildings and technical measures, and quantify the opportunity for energy performance improvement
- A market engagement exercise to gain an understanding of the funders and contractors that SLM could partner with
- A Capital Projects Planning Workshop with SLM’s Board to confirm the funding and delivery strategy
An overview of the funding options outlined the opportunity and potential route to success.
Underpinning our Energy Strategy is a centralised data management system with integrated analytics and reporting. This platform enables us to:
- Effectively manage energy consumption and cost
- Support the energy engagement programme through regular reports and updates that have reinvigorated the programme and ensured ongoing support
- Provide financial and technical Key Performance Indicators to site managers
- Inform the technical programme of ongoing energy savings opportunities
The work to design and implement an Optimised Energy Strategy has enabled us to standardise an approach to energy performance optimisation that is demonstrably effective across the organisation.
The definition of three clear streams of work within the new Energy Strategy has allowed specialised individuals to focus on the areas where they can make the most impact, and it is predicated on robust data that is used to monitor performance. The savings from this are being realised and the system is continually being improved to provide targeted reporting to key stakeholders.
An important aspect of the Energy Strategy was to get the SLM Board to understand the value and risks of investment in energy efficiency. During the planning stage, Carbon Credentials assessed our operations and processes to identify any opportunities for optimum energy performance and clearly articulated the value of such opportunities to our Board. A structured Measurement and Verification process was formed to support the robust assessment and reporting of results.
Our online data management and reporting system receives energy data from a variety of sources, including automatic half-hourly data, invoices, sub-meters, and manual entries. Tailored reports are distributed on a monthly and quarterly basis to staff at all levels of the organisation and key stakeholders have been given sufficient training to action on this data and implement changes.
Training workshops delivered by Carbon Credentials clearly explained the expected role of CRCs and allowed site-level actions plans to be developed so that individuals returned to their sites ready to make an impact. The CRCs are now empowered to work with their site colleagues to reduce energy consumption.
Senior management now have a strong understanding of the technical opportunities available and how they could engage in the market to fund and deliver them. A set of quick-win projects that would pay back in less than three years were identified, and it was agreed that these would be funded internally. The business is now looking to make an investment of over £1m in these quick-win projects.
Finalist in the UK Active Flame Awards 2015 – ‘Go Green’ Category